Make it Yourself - Recycled Crayon Valentines

This Valentines Day I decided to get a little bit more creative with our cards since I had some extra time.  I was looking for something with little to no cost,  a lot of impact and something that my 3 year old daughter and I could do together.  I came across this project on Disney's family fun.go.com and decided it was perfect.  Here is how we did it.
 


 1. First I had my daughter sort out all of her broken crayons. 

2. Next, we soaked the broken crayons in warm water until the wrappers began to peal away from the crayons (pictured below).


3.  Next, we purchased a silicone heart mold from Michaels Crafts. (I used the 40% off coupon that you can print from their website or get in your local Sunday paper).

4. We broke the crayons into pieces small enough to fit into the heart molds.

 5.  We pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees, placed the mold on a cookie sheet and slid it into the oven.

6.  We set the timer for 5 minutes and checked them every minute or so after that until the crayons were all melted (it took ours about 8 minutes) since ovens may vary (pictured below).

 7.  We let them cool for about 30 minutes until they were solid all the way through, popped them out of the mold and Ta Da! (pictured below).
 Finally, I designed a card, printed it on construction paper and attached one heart crayon to give to all of Avery's friends. 



Needless to say, they were a HIT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment